The Madonna with the Christ Child and Saint John the Baptist is a 1506 painting by Raphael, now held in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna. It is also known as Madonna del prato (Madonna of the Meadow) or Madonna del Belvedere (after its long residence in the imperial collection in the Vienna Belvedere).
The three figures in a calm green meadow are linked by looks and touching hands. The Virgin Mary is shown in a contrapposto
pose, wearing a gold-bordered blue mantle set against a red dress and
with her right leg lying along a diagonal. The blue symbolises the
church and the red Christ's death, with the Madonna the uniting of
Mother Church with Christ's sacrifice. With her eyes fixed on Christ,
her head is turned to the left and slightly inclined, and in her hands
she holds up Christ, as he leans forward unsteadily to touch the
miniature cross held by John. The poppy refers to Christ's passion,
death and resurrection.