The National Museum of Fine Arts of Havana (Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de La Habana) in Havana, Cuba is a museum of Fine Arts
that exhibits Cuban art collections from the colonial times up to
contemporary generations. It was founded on February 23, 1913 due to
the efforts of its first director, Emilio Heredia, a well-known architect.
After frequent moves it was finally placed on the block once occupied
by the old Colon Market. In 1954, a new Palacio of Bellas Artes was
opened, designed by the architect Rodriguez Pichardo. The original 1954 Palacio was recently reconstructed by the architect Jose Linares and a second building was taken over for the Museum.
There are now two impressive buildings belonging to the Museum, one dedicated to Cuban Arts in the Palacio de Bellas Artes (Palace of Fine Arts) and one dedicated to the Universal Arts, in the Palacio del Centro Asturiano (Palace of the Asturian Center).
The Palacio de Bellas Artes (Palace of Fine Arts) is
dedicated exclusively to housing Cuba Art collections. Spanning the
17th and 19th centuries has rooms devoted to landscape, religious
subjects and the Costumbrismo narrative scenes of Cuban life. Gallery
devoted to the 1970s is marked by a preponderance of Hyperrealism
and the latest generation of Cuban artists whose works all reflect the
strong symbolic imagery that has been prevalent in recent decades. The
most notable works are those of RenÃ© Portocarrero and Wifredo Lam. A modernist sculpture by noted Cuban artist Rita Lonja stands outside the main entrance.